Works on Paper Restoration and Conservation: Fine Art Prints, Documents, Drawings, Photographs
Leonardo Da Vinci, (1452-1519) original drawing, restored and framed Winslow Homer (1836 –1910) , Adirondack Scene: Man in Boat Watercolor on paper/ This incredible watercolor was restored, framed, delivered by us. It is protected with Tru Vue’s Optium Museum Acrylic. Mary Cassatt, Woman with Child, signed print, before and after restoration and with new frame
Oliver Brothers has restored many different types of works on paper: watercolors, lithographs, pastels, wood cuts, drawings, etchings, serigraphs, engravings, old maps, posters, fine art prints, letters, photographs and documents.
We provide museum quality professional conservation, stabilization and treatment for works on paper of Western or Asian origin.
Albrecht Durer, St. George and the Dragon woodcut, before and after restoration
Typically, damage to the works on paper occurs due to:
1. Changes in humidity and temperature– storing works on paper in basements, attics, or hanging them on the outside walls
2. Faulty framing: mat boards containing acid and lignin, use of adhesives, lack of spacers in between artwork and glass
3. Exposure to the light: sunlight or fluorescent light or any other intense light source
Examine your artworks and call us if you notice:
– Reddish-brown spots also known as “foxing”, caused by mold
– “mat-burn”, a darkening of the paper under the mat or at the bevel cut of the window mat, caused by bad quality or very old mat boards.
U.S. Library of Congress recommendation
Our Custom Framing department follows the matting and framing recommendations set by the United States Library of Congress.
Mary Cassatt, Woman Bathing, signed print, before and after restoration and with new frame
“To increase the life and enjoyment of your print or photograph and to save money in the future on conservation treatments, you should invest in appropriate preservation matting and framing. ” You can read entire an article here: Preservation Guidelines for Matting and Framing
Works on paper restoration and conservation examples
- Ringling Bros and Barnum & Baily antique poster- an antique poster restoration example
1951 World Series Ticket-New York Yankees vs. New York GiantsHand-signed by: Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio and Phil Rizzuto
Antique French Theatrical Poster, before and after restoration Paul Cezanne, Lithograph, before and after restoration Joan Miro, Lithograph, before and after restoration Japanese paper relief sculptures after cleaning
World War II photo, restored and framed John Singer Sargent, letter, drawing and lithograph Naturalization Document, restored and framed Boston Harbor engraving restored
Back to our Fine Art Restoration, Repair and Conservation Services page.